Monday, August 4, 2014

Team Colorado Welcomes Jared "the Youngster" Hazen

Name: Jared "the Youngster" Hazen

Age: 19

Hometown: Titusville, PA

Current residence: Colorado Springs, CO

Sponsors: Altra Zero Drop

Personal Bests (or Worsts): Bests would probably be 3rd at Rocky Raccoon and 14th at Western States. I felt like I ran a close to perfect race at Rocky Raccoon and went about hour faster than expected. At Western I moved up all day and was able to run a fast last 20 miles and felt the best I ever have at that distance. Worst would have to be my first ultra, the Baker 50 miler. My nutrition plan going in was lemonade and bananas. It got up to 85 degrees and was super humid. I led the first 30 miles, then ran with my buddy who caught up for 5 miles before I started puking everywhere and cramping. I got lost for a couple miles, but managed to finish 2nd in 8:05. I then proceeded to puke a few more times before somebody called and an ambulance (not cool). Luckily I didn’t have to go to a hospital, but I was sick for about 2 weeks after the race. And the time I dropped at the Quad Rock 50. It seems I haven’t had much luck with the 50s.

Notable Achievements: Sub 14 hours in a 100 miler. And I’ve never had any real injuries, it’s a miracle!

Goals for 2014/2015/beyond: I just want to get better, explore a lot, and be able to run until I die.

Favorite trails: Cascade Canyon trail in Grand Teton National Park, Trail 666 in Colorado Springs

Favorite workout: Long runs. The ones where you get lost, run out of food and water, and wonder if you’ll ever be done running…those are the best ;)

Favorite races: Oil Creek 100 It was my first hundred and my hometown race.

Favorite Beer: I’ll get back to you in a couple of years. (He's 19 people, we are not in Europe!)

Why Trail/Mountain/Ultra Running? Because it’s a blast! My “training” is running on sweet single track in the mountains every day for long periods of time. That totally beats trying to sprint around a track really fast. And I’ve found that running 100 miles is one of the hardest things I’ve done in my life. I don’t know why but I like training for months at a time and then one day trying to bring everything together and nail a hundred mile race, it’s pretty satisfying.

No comments:

Post a Comment